A large house fire lit up Main Street Monday morning while simultaneously covering it in billowing dark, black smoke that could be seen across town.
At approximately 8:48 a.m., the Enterprise Fire Department was dispatched to a “fully involved” residential structure fire on North Main Street in Downtown Enterprise, Fire Chief Byron Herring said.
All four stations, along with the Enterprise Rescue Squad and the Enterprise Police Department, responded.
Herring said the flames had already blown through the doors, windows and parts of the roof by the time crews arrived minutes later. The residence had several occupants and multiple animals inside at the time of the fire, and a woman was treated for eye irritation on scene and released.
While several of the animals were rescued, Herring said, five were later discovered deceased inside.
Crews worked quickly to extinguish the flames, but the fire continued to burn for several hours after the initial call was made. Crews were back in station shortly after 1 p.m.
Herring said the fire began in the kitchen with the most probable cause being an electrical fire, possibly from the stove.
Both lanes of traffic on North Main Street were blocked off as the crews worked but reopened several hours later after the flames were tamed.
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!