Dothan’s downtown fire station has been temporarily closed due to mold in the building.
According to a press release from the Dothan Fire Department, mold was recently discovered at Fire Station No. 1, located on Columbia Highway near downtown Dothan.
The mold was sent for testing a few weeks ago, and the results led officials to decide to temporarily vacate the building and reassign the units and personnel to other stations.
The building was closed Friday, according to the press release, and will remain closed until “the remediation and renovation is complete.”
Fire Chief Larry Williams attributes the mold to humidity issues in the building.
“The Fire Department staff is working with the General Services Department to ensure that proper modifications are made during this process to prevent future issues,” the release states.
The department says response times won’t be affected.
About nine years ago, the city dealt with major mold issues at four other fire stations -- No. 4 Southside, No. 6 Northside, No. 8 West End and No. 9 Northeast, according to a Dothan Eagle article from July 2006.
At that time, the city entered into an agreement with Polyengineering Inc., paying $25,585 for renovation work to correct mold and acoustical problems at the stations and the Wiregrass Museum of Art.